Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

SharePoint Tutorial 10 - Content Types

SharePoint content types provide a way to package security, metadata and workflows for a specific file or document type or list item. That package of security, metadata and workflows will follow that file, document or list item wherever it's stored in SharePoint.

Let's say you have a library called 'shared documents' in the human resources site. Resumes and vacation requisitions forms are to be stored there. Documents of resume type will have their own set of properties or columns particular to it as well as vacation requisition forms. They may also have a specific workflows attached to each. Resumes may have fields like city, school and skills while the vacation requisition form may have fields such as manager, date request and status. In previous versions of SharePoint you would have to create a separate library for each document type or have one library and add all the possible properties for each type of document. Content types allow you to define a set of properties, workflows and custom new, edit and display forms at the document level so that the resumes and vacation requisition forms can be stored in the same 'shared documents' library.

When a site content type is added to a list it becomes a list content type. Any changes you make to the list does not affect the site content type or any list type that inherited from it.

Content types can be created at the site level which can then be inherited by child sites.



5 comments:

  1. It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

    my web site more information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for
    my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    my weblog ... bancuri cu alinutza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, this weekend is nice in favor of me, for the reason that
    this point in time i am reading this fantastic educational article
    here at my residence.

    my webpage jocuri cu cai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! I could have sworn I've visited this website before but after going through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I discovered it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!


    My web page :: joc de aventuri

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is treatment for fatty liver disease what is treatment for fatty liver disease
    what is treatment for fatty liver disease

    my blog post; fatty liver and remedy

    ReplyDelete