Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Difference between MOSS and WSS

A quick wrap up of the differences are:
WSS 3.0 offers all the standard site templates to build team sites, document workspaces, blank sites, blogs, wikis, and meeting workspaces.
You can also use WSS 3.0 to create people and group lists. You can integrate WSS 3.0 sites with Access 2007, Excel 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007 and PowerPoint 2007. You can create RSS feeds and set up alerts to notify you when content changes on a site. Version control, task notification and alerts all come with WSS 3.0
MOSS 2007 offers all of the features included in WSS 3.0.
In addition, MOSS 2007 offers business intelligence features that allow you to track key performance indicators and build BI dashboards into your team site. The dashboards can assemble and display business info using Excel spreadsheets, SQL, or integrate with line of business applications. Excel Services in MOSS go beyond simply displaying Excel spreadsheets, you can actually stream parts of a spreadsheet, showing or hiding various parts. Workflow can also be integrated into MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0. And don’t get me started on slide libraries – a much needed and unique way to share and reuse slides that is available in MOSS 2007.
MOSS 2007 also offers My Sites, which are individual mini-sites that can be set up to show who in your company you’re connected to, what your tasks and skills are, your contact information, and more. When I worked at a consulting firm, we used our My Sites to let co-workers know what we did so that they knew whom to call on for a new project. We used the My Sites to ‘advertise’ ourselves.
One of our team members was given the task of putting together a team site for my group that summarized our My Sites and provided other links and resources. He had about one month to build the site, but a big project prevented him from doing it. He asked me to take his place at a presentation of the site to a larger group in the company, giving me two hours notice. Now, while I don’t recommend doing a site in two hours, I was able to do this in less than two hours – more of a tribute to how easy SharePoint is to use than to my skills.
The features that are included in WSS 3.0 are easy for anyone to use and set up. You can create your own team site, set up a blog in minutes, create wikis, use Word to post your blog entries, create slide libraries so that all your employees can find and reuse different slides from different presentations and lots more.
But first you have to plan your site and decide how to organize it to help your team be more productive. In the next post I’ll show you some ways to plan your site.

11 comments:

  1. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it
    Review my weblog ... rapid weight loss tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its really really pleasant paragraph on
    building up new website.

    Here is my page ... look at this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your page.
    Im really impressed by your blog.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on deutlich. Regards

    Also visit my web page: rent property

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this time I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast
    coming again to read more news.

    Also visit my web site - homepage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this website, and article is actually fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these types of content.

    my web-site :: learn more

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be suggested this web site by way of my cousin.

    I'm now not certain whether or not this put up is written via him as nobody else recognise such unique approximately my problem. You're wonderful!
    Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my blog post: read this post here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You're
    wonderful! Thanks!

    my blog ... full version of minecraft for free

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to know so
    much approximately this, like you wrote the e book in it or something.

    I believe that you just could do with some p.

    c. to power the message house a bit, however instead
    of that, this is fantastic blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!

    ! Finally I've found something which helped me. Thank you!

    My page - her comment is here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website?

    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

    Also visit my web blog; page

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this web site, and post is really fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these content.

    Feel free to surf to my site ... botticelli schoenen online bestellen

    ReplyDelete