Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Sharepoint Issue's and It's Solutions

Export and Import a SharePoint Subsite :

Had a situation recently where I needed to take a backup of a Wiki subsite and restore it on another SharePoint site collection's subsite residing on a different farm. In WSS 3.0, there are two new STSADM commands - import and export.The basic procedure to restore the subsite was to STSADM export the site to a file and then STSADM import it to new site collection's sub site.

Note:

Export subsite

stsadm -o export -url  http://sharepointserver:1111/Wiki/  -filename d:\DatabaseBackup\Wiki.bak -includeusersecurity
-versions 4
 
Import subsite

stsadm -o import -url http://sharepointserver:1111/Wiki  -filename d:\DatabaseBackup\Wiki.bak -includeusersecurity

Note:
The -includeusersecurity switch ensures that all the columns such as modifed by, created by are maintained.
The -versions 4 switch will ensure that all versions of list items/documents are exported.

You must import/export to sites that share the same template. So a team site can only be exported and imported into another team site. You will know you are trying to import into non matching templates if you get the following error:

"The exported site is based on the template STS#1 but the destination site is based on the template STS#0"

This means that a site based on the blank template is trying to be imported into a site based on the team template.To my knowledge there is no easy way of changing a sites templates.


The following lists some of the common WSS templates:
Team Site                      STS#0
Blank Site                      STS#1 
Document Workspace   STS#2 
Wiki Site                       WIKI#0 
Blog                               BLOG#0 

Error Message while Importing a sub site:

"A list, survey, discussion board, or document library cannot have the same name as another list, survey, discussion board, or document library in this Web site. "

To avoid the above error message while using STSADM import, create a subsite by choosing Blank Site template and then run the above stsadm import command. 

A list, survey, discussion board, or document library cannot have the same name as another list, survey, discussion board, or document library in this Web site. To avoid the above error message while using STSADM import, create a subsite by choosing Blank Site template and then run the above stsadm import command.

Please use an unused port for this site error in Central Admin Site
My Central Administration site in MOSS environment was giving me following error message after restarting the server."IIS was unable to start this site. Another site may already be using the port you configured for this site. Please use an unused port for this site."
Looks like changing the port number through IIS won’t do any good.You will have to do this through the command line.
First navigate to following location
 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN 
You need to use STSADM with setadminport parameter
Type stsadm.exe -o setadminport –port [port number]

Issue:

"Server Farm Configuration Not Complete"

Solution:

I was getting above error message in bright red text on left hand top corner in my Central Administration page. I made sure following services are all running,

Document Conversions Launcher Service
Document Conversions Load Balancer Service
Office SharePoint Server Search
Windows SharePoint Services Help Search
Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

Then I check on the Check Services Enabled in this Farm page (Central Administration > Application Management > Check Services Enabled in this Farm) to identify any errors. Its fine too.

Then I had to finally create the Shared Services. This make the error message disappear.

Issue:

"Could not load XSL file. The system cannot find the file specified"

Solution:

In attempting to setup the content query web part on a MySite, after exporting the web part and re-importing it to the MySite site I then got a "Could not load XSL file. The system cannot find the file specified" error.
 Go to site settings of MySite and enable the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" site collection features. Now the content query web part would start working.

Issue:

"Invalid or loopback address error"

Solution:

 I was trying to install MOSS on a SQL server environment and received above error message. The SQL Server database was installed on non default TCP port. So I need to type something like “Database Server name, TCP port” when I try to create the configuration databases. But it was failing with above error.I had to update database TCP port to default 1433 port to get SharePoint successfully installed.

9 comments:

  1. I am truly pleased to read this weblog posts which includes
    lots of useful facts, thanks for providing such data.



    Here is my webpage ... earn free virtapay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from
    somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. With thanks

    Also visit my web-site: linkbucks bot

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up, its pleasant paragraph concerning media print, we all be familiar with media is a impressive source of data.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site; password hacking software

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody
    else know such detailed about my problem. You are amazing!
    Thanks!

    my web blog ... youtube auto

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited many web sites but the audio quality for audio songs existing at this web
    page is really excellent.

    Also visit my webpage ... get paid for

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a
    few months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?


    my web-site increase youtube views

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up for the excellent information you have here on this post.
    I am returning to your web site for more soon.


    Feel free to visit my homepage: PTC Sites Autoclicker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy! This article couldn't be written much better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept preaching about this. I will send this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a very good read. Thanks for sharing!

    Here is my web page: all in one seo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Finally someone writes about code generator 2012.


    My weblog ... Psn Codes

    ReplyDelete