1. On the top link bar, click Application Management.On the Application Management page, under SharePoint Web Application Management,
2. click Web application general settings.If the currently selected Web application is not the
Web application for which you want to configure settings, on the Web Application General Settings page, in the Web Application section,
3. click Change Web Application on the Web Application menu.On the Select Web Application page, click the Web application for which you want to configure settings.
4. In the Default Time Zone section, in the Select time zone list, click the time zone to use for all sites and subsites under the Web application.
5. In the Default Quota Template section, in the Select quota template list, click the quota template to use as the default template for all site collections.
6. If there are no quota templates, you can create a template by clicking the Quota Templates link in the section description. When you specify a default template for the Web application, you can still select a different template when you create a site collection.
7. In the Person Name Smart Tag and Presence Settings section, under Enable Person Name smart tag and Online Status for members, select either Yes or No to determine whether to display that information for all sites under the Web application.
8. In the Maximum upload size section, type the maximum allowable file size.
The default maximum file size is 50 megabytes (MB). If a user tries to upload a single file or a group of files that is larger than the maximum upload size, an error message appears and the user's files are not uploaded.
9. In the Alerts section, under Alerts on this server are, select either On or Off to enable or disable alerts for all sites under this Web application.
10. If you enable alerts and want to limit the number of alerts that users can create, enter a value under Maximum number of alerts that a user can create. To allow an unlimited number of alerts, select Unlimited number.
11. In the RSS Settings section, under Enable RSS feeds, select either Yes or No to specify whether or not to allow Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds.
12. In the Web Page Security Validation section, under Security validation is, select either On or Off to enable or disable Web page security validation.
13. To set the expiration time, under Security validation expires, select After, and then type the length of time to wait before the security validations expire. To prevent the validations from expiring, select Never.
14. In the Send User Name and Password in E-Mail section, select either Yes or No to either send or not send user names and passwords by e-mail.
15. In the Backward-Compatible Event Handlers section, select either On or Off to enable or disable backward-compatible event handlers.
16. When this feature is enabled, you can write code to handle events, and then you can specify the code to use for a particular document library by using the document library settings.
17. In the Change Log section, under Delete entries from the change log, select either After or Never. If you select After, type a value for the number of days after which to remove entries from the change log. Select Never if you want entries never to be removed from the change log.
18. In the Recycle Bin section, under Recycle Bin Status, select either On or Off to specify whether or not the Recycle Bins of all the sites in this Web application are turned on or turned off.
19. Under Delete items in the Recycle Bin, select either After or Never.
If you select After, type the number of days to wait before emptying the Recycle Bins. If you select Never, the Recycle Bins are never automatically emptied.
20. Under Second stage Recycle Bin, select either Add or Disabled.
If you select Add, type the percentage to add to the site's quota of Recycle Bin capacity.
The second-stage Recycle Bin stores items that end users deleted from their Recycle Bins so that the deleted items can be easily restored. For more information about quotas and the second-stage Recycle Bin.
21. Click OK.